24 February 2012

In the beginning there was Dune

It was 1987. I was in Mrs. Hawe's grade 10 English class and was passed a new book to read by next week. On the cover was a grainy picture of a desert scene and the bold title "Dune". I chucked the book into my purse, headed out for my next class and didn't think about it till I got home that night.

This is when my life changed forever.
Yes, I am Dune Girl. I will fight you in a cage match to defend the honour of Frank's vision whipping out a crysknife at the end to finish you off. Okay, maybe that is little bloody but I am quite mad about the books. If you haven't read Dune then we can't be friends. Okay, we can be friends but I will barely respect you. Harsh?....

If you are hoping for my insight into the series, this isn't the post for you. It isn't that I don't have opinions. This just isn't the time for those rantings. This is a confession.

Let me start things off by stating that I do in fact read the new books, I have even bought some of them. And yes, let me go on the record to say that some of them ( I am talking about you Dune: Butlerian Jihad) were abominable. But let me also state for the record that some of them have been pretty darn good. My copies of Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are as worn as the original group of six. And I am quite excited to receive my copy of Sisterhood of Dune in the mail.

I don't read these books because I want to. I read them because I have to. The world I was assigned to read for homework in my early teens has a hold on me. It won't let me go and frankly I won't let it. There I feel better.

I am Dune Girl and I have been addicted for over 20 years. Thank the Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reading, and commenting on this post! Thank the Maker, thanks you.