26 November 2012

Deck the halls already: A rant

Never in the history of me being me have I ever consider decorating for the holidays until about 2 weeks before the blessed event.  Never. Ever. Until today....

Not sure why, well who is kidding who, thanks to the overwhelming pressure by stores to make this holiday a year to remember (dollar wise) we, the general public have been sucking on the candy stick of Christmas consumerism since November 1st.  Yes, that is right, November 1st, the day after Halloween.  I kid you not, stores in the city were pumping carols the same day they were trying to unload 55 million bags of Halloween treats.  For once I would like November to be November.  You know the month that Dune Girl was born. (obviously)  Yes, I turn older Tuesday.  It is pretty sweet.  To make it sweeter,  the hubby  turns 5 years younger than I but one year older for him one week later.  With two birthdays to bathe in booze, Christmas has always been on the back burner for us.

This year though we are ready to break the unwritten family rule and deck the house out like a hussy Santa.  Things are getting nuts.  
I never did finish it

You might be wondering if this internal struggle has gotten in my way of reading books and then oh, I don't know blogging about them on this blog for books.  Not really, I am actually reading something right now, it is just taking me forever.  After the third serious attempt to read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (I KNOW) I am finally into it. Finally...To be frank this book bugs me.  I don't know how many years I have been hearing the merits of this thing.  Every time I have heard an incredible review I am running up to my bookcase and pulling the dam thing out to then very quickly  shove it  back on the shelf.  This may officially showcase my level of average intelligence but the first 60 pages of this book MAKES NO SENSE.  Someone seriously needs to sit down with me and talk me through it.  I am not joking. The only way that I have managed to get anywhere in it is because I skipped the first part.  You read that right, I skipped something and am proud of it.

Anyway I am not far enough in to review the book. My hope is that once finished I can return to the first part and suddenly all will be revealed to me.  This is my hope...I am not holding my breath.  And no, I haven't watched the movie. GAWD, give me a little credit.

Beside this epic struggle of Santa or not to Santa  I was handed the new book by Lois McMaster Bujold:  Captain Vorpatril's Alliance yesterday  and subsequently have stopped all communications with my family.  For those of you in the know this is a book from the Vorkosigan Series which just happens to be one of my fave's.    It's like the world knows it's my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reading, and commenting on this post! Thank the Maker, thanks you.